Saturday, September 4, 2010

Yes, we still need to be dairy free

Charlotte accidentally had some dairy yesterday (a piece of cheese), and had several reactions:

First, she was bouncing off the walls at dinner time. She's a wiggle worm and a spirited girl anyway, but when she has dairy there's just a little extra manic energy and lack of impulse control there.


Second, it negatively impacted her sleep. She had extra trouble relaxing and falling asleep at bedtime, and trouble staying asleep. Basically, she woke up every two hours.

Finally at 5:00 a.m., I was so tired from getting up and down that I felt I literally couldn't move. I asked Adam to get her and bring her to bed with me.

He found her UNDER her bed. She has a lovely scratch down the center of her nose that I'm sure is somehow related.


The third way it tends to affect her is with respiratory symptoms. She's been sneezing all morning, and has watery clear nasal discharge and a bit of a cough. (Her cousin Owen did have the beginnings of a cold when we saw him on Wednesday, so that could be a contributing factor too).


One other way it can affect her is with eczema flareups. Thankfully, that appears to only be a factor with ongoing exposure vs. one time mistakes.


I'll spare you the details of the intestinal reactions ...

No comments:

Post a Comment