Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Facilitating Independence

Today I implemented some Montessori principles in our home.

Charlotte's dresser used to be organized for my convenience, with the clothes she wears every day in a high drawer where I can easily get them without stooping.  Linens blankets and things we are storing for future use were kept in lower drawers.  I reorganized it with her abilities and stature in mind.  So, the linens and blankets are now in the upper drawers.  Now the second drawer from the bottom has all of the clothes that currently fit her close to the front of the drawer and the next size up in another row at the back.  The very bottom drawer is where I will lay out outfits that she can choose from each day.

I also made a simple change in our kitchen.  I moved the silverware drawer one slot down, so Charlotte can reach in.  I told her that she has a very important job for the family now: putting the silverware away from the dishwasher.  She was very excited! 

By facilitating her desire for independence and learning in useful ways, I have a long term and a short term goal.  In the long term, that she will grow up to be a cheerful and responsible contributing member of society.  In the short term, that she will feel more control over her life which has the potential to reduce battles and tantrums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment