Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dealing with Fears through Play?

Today Charlotte and I happened upon a game. I was on the floor and she came and snuggled with me.

"Mmm, I love to hug you, I'm not going to let you go," I said.

She wriggled away.

"Where are you going? Come back! Come back!" I said in a very exaggerated melodramatic silly voice.

She giggled in delight as she ran around me, then jumped back into my arms for another hug.

"You came back! Hooray!" I kissed her, and she wriggled away again. "Oh no, are you leaving me? Wait! Wait! Don't go! Come back!"

More squeals and giggles. Each time we repeated this little scenario, I got sillier with my pleas for her to stay, and she laughed harder.

Finally I changed it a little bit.

"Charlotte, I know you have to go. If you give me a kiss and a hug first, and say goodbye, that will help me remember that you are coming back."

So we played it that way a few times. It wasn't quite as silly or funny though.

Tonight as we were wrapping up dinner I was telling Adam about this game, and Charlotte requested that we play again right then. I demonstrated and she squealed and laughed with the same intensity as the first time. Then she said, "Dadda try?" The look of anticipation and glee on her face when he agreed and started coming her way was something to behold. It was very heartwarming to watch them play together. :)

I hope all that play helps her work through the separation anxiety she's been having lately. She stayed with me in Bible study this morning, but as we were leaving, insisted on going into the nursery to see the kids. Could that be a hopeful sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment