Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hatchling

For the past three weeks, Little Jo has been broody.  She started sitting on one of her little eggs, and then other hens started adding eggs to the clutch.

She stayed on the eggs all day and night except for a few minutes a day to stretch her legs, get water, eat a little and poop.

Yesterday, while she was taking her daily mid-morning break, I noticed that the bantam egg had a small hole in it.  I picked up the egg and heard peeping!

Early this morning I went back out to see if there had been any progress.  The little egg lay off to the side, neatly broken in two.  I heard peeping again, but this time coming from under the hen.  But, the hen and the rooster were determined that I keep my distance, so I gave everyone space.






At 10:30 I went back out.  It just happened to coincide with the hen's mid-morning break, and I got to see the baby!



I wonder if the hen will keep sitting on the rest of the eggs until they hatch or if she'll just focus on mothering her own baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment