We've spent quite a bit of time outside the past few days, soaking up the sunshine and working hard. Last week Adam paid for the big mulberry tree closest to the house to be trimmed, but to get a lower price agreed to do all the clean up work. And what a lot of work it was! The tree hadn't been trimmed for quite a few years, and the pile of branches was 7 feet tall and 20 feet across! It took Adam and his brother Ryan working together with some help from Brenda and me most of the day Saturday, part of the day Sunday, and most of yesterday afternoon and today to get it all cleaned up and hauled away. The good part about cleaning it up ourselves though is that the bigger pieces can be saved for firewood for George and Brenda's wood-burning stove.
Today Adam finished loading the bigger pieces in the back of his dad's pickup truck and unloading them by the woodpile.
Meanwhile, Charlotte and I worked out by the garden. She had fun with the work gloves and a garden tool kit that is just her size that I bought her at Target earlier today.
Couldn't resist this hat from Target's dollar bin.
The gloves didn't stay on for long!
Hard at work
Cooling off in the mist from the sprinkler
My first try at starting a garden didn't go so well. All that survived were onions, potatoes and sunflowers.
Everything else was killed by a cold snap we had a few weeks ago.
Onions (one freshly sprouted weed visible in the gap, and newly transplanted corn plants visible at far right)
One of the three sunflower plants
Potatoes just starting to sprout
On Monday I decided to hit the reset button so I went to Home Depot and bought some seedlings and got them in the ground right away. For the most part they are taking root and thriving, and the garden is coming along nicely. I even have a strawberry growing on the vine!
I'll get to enjoy eating this strawberry before too long!
Spilled some seeds here ... broccoli I think?
Blueberry bush
I also planted the corn, a grapevine, some Roma tomatoes and a crookneck yellow squash plant.
And just for fun, here is a "self-portrait" Charlotte took with my camera a few days ago. Look at those big beautiful eyes and gorgeous lashes!












No comments:
Post a Comment