Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gluten Free Day 2

First, some background.  Before I got the doctor's orders to try a gluten free diet, I had already been suspecting gluten was a problem for me based on my pattern of symptoms in relation to when I ate.  I had started a "gluten lite" diet on February 7 (gluten lite meaning that I didn't actively eat any gluten-containing products, but didn't watch out for cross contamination at all).  I felt somewhat better the first week.  My stomach calmed way down. 

Then the 2nd week, I experienced the worst PMS of my life, with a black depression, extreme irritability verging on rage, and a near inability to deal with anything in my life without anxiety and tears. 

The Monday beginning the 3rd week, I impulsively ate a salad topped with feta cheese and poppyseed dressing which contained some sour cream.  Somehow I convinced myself in the moment that since it was cheese from a goat and since I used such a tiny amount of dressing that it wouldn't bother me, or would bother me in such a minor way that the deliciousness of the salad would be worth it.  HA!!!  My lactose intolerance symptoms flared worse than ever, lasting several days.  It's very possible that the salad was also cross contaminated with gluten since it was prepared in a commercial kitchen. 

The digestive and mental/emotional symptoms together got so bad that I decided to make the appointment with my doctor that led to the gluten-free diet instructions. 

Dr. Akhavon said not to start the gluten free diet until after I had the blood test.  So on Monday I purposely ate lots of gluten.  I had a fish filet sandwich from Wendy's with french fries for lunch, some almond cookies for a snack, and chicken noodle soup for dinner.  I was looking for an immediate reaction, but other than excessive belching, I felt strangely good all that day and into Tuesday morning, almost like I was on pain medicine or other drugs.  Which makes sense, because gluten can have an opiate-like effect in the body.  Also, I was hopeful to have a course of action to improve how I've been feeling which lifted my spirits considerably.

Yesterday I fasted in the morning before my blood test, and after that I stuck to a 100% gluten free diet, being very careful about cross contamination.  As I said, I started out the day feeling good, but as the day wore on, my digestive health declined considerably.  By the end of the day I was so bloated I couldn't keep my pants buttoned and I had to run to the bathroom a few times before bed.

This morning I had the hardest time getting out of bed.  I ache all over, including a migraine-like headache with some visual symptoms.  I can't think straight.  I have terrible indigestion and heartburn and nothing sounds appetizing.  It feels like food poisoning and the flu all rolled into one.  I spent half the morning in the bathroom or in bed trying to hold as still as possible while Charlotte played nearby. 

I suspect this is the ongoing reaction from Monday's indulgence, combined with withdrawal/detox symptoms.  I hope and pray it clears up quickly and I start to feel better, because this is pretty miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment