Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Progress Not Perfection

Charlotte is doing great with potty training.  The first week, it was mostly up to me to take her when I thought she had to go.  If I forgot, she had an accident.  The first day we changed panties 3 times.  The second day, we needed two changes, but by the end of the first week, we had a good rhythm and were only having one accident a day.  But I was doing lots of taking and reminding.  At the start of the second week, I decided to back off and make it her a little bit more of her responsibility.  Monday we had three accidents, Tuesday there were two, but on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday she stayed clean and dry all day!  Saturday morning she had two accidents while hanging out with Adam outside.  She stayed clean and dry all day on Sunday and Monday again.  Today she had some diarrhea when she woke up from her nap. 

I am still taking her at certain times (like when we wake up, before we go in the car, when I go, etc.), but increasingly she is telling us when she has to go too.  The downside of this is that she thinks it's fun and says it way more often than she actually needs to go, but I'm sure the novelty of that will wear off soon, and in the meantime it's good practice.  She has figured out how to pull up her own pants, and does pretty well pulling them down, but if we are rushing I do it for her still.  I'll be in the bottom wiping business for a while yet too--her little arms aren't even long enough to reach yet!

It's a paradigm shift to have my baby almost out of diapers.  She's wearing them only at night now.  We still take a diaper bag with us everywhere, but it contains changes of clothes and extra panties instead of diapers.  Speaking of clothes, using the potty has necessitated a change in wardrobe.  I'm picking clothes that are easy on and off, mostly elastic waist pants with t-shirts.  Some pants that were too small when she was in diapers fit again and some that fit when she was in diapers fall right off her cute little bum.  Also, onesies aren't very practical anymore, so there are some really cute tops that still fit her that she won't be wearing in the near future or ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment