Sunday, February 13, 2011

Potpourri of Updates

There are a lot of things going on in the Sierdsma household lately, and rather than do lots of little posts I decided to make one potpourri of updates.

POTTY TRAINING
On Monday I told C that from now on she would be wearing panties in the daytime.  She has done really well.  She had three pee accidents that day, but only one pee accident per day since then, and the ratio of times she is asking to go vs. me just taking her when I go/thinks she needs to go has increased. 


CUTE MOMENTS
On Thursday C took one of her plastic baby dolls and turned its head all the way around. She then showed it to me. "Look mama. She misses her tummy."  She turned the head forward again and said, "She misses her back now."

***

On Friday Charlotte and I were sitting in the back of my car in the Costco parking lot, she on a potty chair.  The sun slanted through the window into her eyes, and she said, "Mama, why the sun so bright?"  I told her it was because God made it that way.  She said, "Mama, God made the mountains for us!"  I told her that was right.  Then she asked me if God made my pants, too.

***

Last night Adam and I left Charlotte with her aunt Kasey and cousins Allie and Hannah while we went to dinner and a movie.  During the week I told Charlotte about our plans for Saturday night to get her ready.  "You'll play with your cousins while Daddy and I go to see a movie."  Charlotte thought for a moment and then said, "You watch Fox and the Hound?"


NEIGHBOR'S GOATS
The spring kids started arriving this week.  Yesterday we saw a set of twins just after birth.  The current count is 7 kids.


DANCE CLASS CONTROVERSY
Last week I heard more of the song that they are having the little girls dance to for the recital, and realized that it is Katy Perry's Hot N Cold.  The lyrics go like this:

You change your mind like a girl changes clothes
You PMS like a b**** I should know (note -- this line may be edited out in the recital version)
You overthink always speak cryptically
I should know that you're no good for me

You're hot and you're cold
You're yes and you're no
You're in and you're out
You're up and you're down

You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white
We fight we break up
We kiss we make up

I should know that you're no good for me

UM, this isn't a song that I think 2 and 3 year olds need to be dancing to or learning the lyrics to, when there are so many other songs to choose from! On Monday, I'm going to demand that they change it or give us a refund so I can go look for a different dance studio with better standards.

There is a version of the same song that Ms. Perry did for Sesame Street that may be a good compromise option.


ALLERGIES
On Wednesday, Charlotte broke out in hives all over her body after consuming a blended drink from Starbucks made with strawberries, soy milk and ice, made in a blender that was also used to mix dairy-containing beverages.  I took her to the doctor who recommended we do a blood test to find out what she was reacting to.  I am impatient for the results, which we should get this week.  The hives came and went over the next few days as we administered Benadryl, and are finally mostly gone.


GARDENING
We started our garden this weekend.  Yesterday Adam drove a tractor pulling rows of disks to turn under the weeds and break up the soil, then we built a rabbit fence around a 10x10 plot of ground and worked on pulling out the weed remnants.  About 10 days ago I started some seeds indoors, and this morning I took the ones that were ready/are frost resistant outside and got them in the ground.  We will have:
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Corn
  • Lettuce
  • Onions (green and table)
  • Potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Squash
  • Strawberries
  • Sunflowers
I also have green beans, tomatoes and peppers which I need to wait until next month to plant.  I really enjoyed working outside this morning and look forward to tending the garden and enjoying the fruits (and vegetables!) of my labor later this year.  The lettuce will be ready in only 45 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment