Monday, February 28, 2011

Gluten Free Trial

All my life I've suffered from a "sensitive" stomach and unpredictable digestive system.  It got worse in college when I became lactose intolerant.  Since we determined that consuming dairy gives Charlotte eczema and other discomfort, I've been much more strict about avoiding dairy.  And yet, the digestive symptoms still plague me, getting to the point where I have bloating, heartburn, nausea and loose bowels after almost every meal.

Finally last week I was feeling so lousy that I made an appointment to see the doctor this morning.

As soon as I finished describing my symptoms, the doctor asked, "Has anyone in your family been diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten intolerance?"  She went on to explain that it sounds to her like I'm allergic/sensitive to something I am eating, and the pattern suggests the culprit could be gluten.  She recommended a blood test (which may have a false negative) and a trial of a gluten free diet for three weeks.  If the symptoms don't improve with the diet, then the next step is a colonoscopy to determine if the symptoms are caused by something else, like irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis.

The blood test also includes orders to check my thyroid and liver function and blood cell counts.

I'm a little overwhelmed, but hopeful about the possibility of feeling better at last.

Meanwhile, Charlotte's skin still isn't looking normal to me although her allergy test came back negative.  Her cheeks are abnormally red and bumpy, and she gets a transient lacy rash all over her body after eating many meals.  In addition, her eczema is returning.  I'm going to have her do the gluten free diet with me, and also remove soy from our diets to see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment