Thursday, April 28, 2011

There's No Place Like Home...

...for my chickens that is. 

In my typical "figure it out as I go" style, I bought the chicks yesterday thinking I had plenty of time to finish cleaning out the old coop, do some minor repairs and build a fence around the yard.

After doing some research, however, I'm finding that there's more to it than that.  The old coop is in sadder shape than I previously realized.

Look at the pictures of what I'm starting with and then compare that to the beautiful coops on display at Backyard Chickens)

Things a coop needs that the old coop doesn't have:
  • solid/continuous walls that will keep predators and weather out and chickens in
  • roost/roosts
  • a poop board to go under the roost
  • floor/bedding material
  • nest box(es)
  • human sized door
  • chicken sized door

So the questions now are:
  1. Do I have enough supplies on hand to do extensive remodeling of the existing coop or to build a coop from scratch?  Can I do either task with minimal help? 
  2. If building new, should I build a permanent coop or a moveable coop, also known as a chicken tractor?

The girls won't be ready to live outside for at least a month.  I do have some time to figure out a plan and execute it.

No comments:

Post a Comment