Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ready for the Limelight?

Charlotte's dance recital is coming up fast.  Today the studio held a run-through with all the participating students.  Before they got started, Kopi from a Fresno morning show on Fox called Great Day came to the studio to film the kids. 

I was nervous about how Charlotte would do, given that we had spent the whole morning at Vacation Bible School already, and she was about due for a nap.  Also, it was 100 degrees outside and the dance studio has no air conditioning. 

Add to that a large crowd, commotion, lights and cameras, and it all proved too much for Charlotte. 

Here's a picture from Kopi's visit.  Charlotte was supposed to be sitting in the front row in the empty red chair between the little girl in blue and the little girl in pink.


Everyone got lined up and then they practiced yelling in unison an invitation to come to the recital on Saturday.  Before they even started filming, her teacher brought her out to me.  Charlotte looked on the verge of tears. 

The teacher said that Charlotte had kept getting up and trying to leave, so the teacher had picked her up.

Charlotte had told her, "I want my mommy."

"I told her she could see her mommy in just a few minutes.  Then she bit me.  I think it might have been an accident," The teacher said. 

After the teacher left, I asked Charlotte why she bit her. 

"I wanted my mommy.  What did teacher say?"

"What did teacher say?"

"Just a few minutes."

"I love you.  I miss you.  It was too loud," she said.

Before Kopi left, he also filmed and took pictures of each individual class with their teachers.  Charlotte did manage to sit with her group for this part, but with the most awful scowl on her face.  I'll be curious to see if she makes it on the program tomorrow.  The dance studio is supposed to be featured during the 10 day forecast, the Great Day faces segment, and the 7th Inning Stretch segment.

After Kopi left, the kids were supposed to line up in Studio A as they will backstage on Saturday before the grand finale.  The girls in C's class were given permission to play with the toys in the lobby while everyone else got settled and organized.  When it was time for them to go in and take their places, C insisted on me staying with her. 

They had the kids sit there in their rows for a long time, telling them to be quiet, correcting how they were sitting.  C wanted to get up, and when I wouldn't let her, started scooting herself across the floor on her stomach.

Finally, it was time for them to stand up and follow the rest of the kids to Studio A which was standing in for the stage.  On the way there, Charlotte saw the bathroom and decided she had to go potty.  I helped her and then we joined the rest of the group in time for a little bit of crazy dancing and playing with beach balls. 

Then the music stopped and one of the big kids collected the beach balls.  Charlotte happened to be playing a beach ball and she melted down into a heap on the floor when the girl took the ball away from her. 

Charlotte's teacher came over to see what was wrong.  I told her what had happened and told the teacher how Charlotte was tired and ready for a nap.  I asked what the plan for the rest of the afternoon was.  She told me they were going to line up again in Studio B to do it all again, and after that, keep running through the dances over and over.  Then she looked at C laying on the floor and told me to just take her home.  She said we could come to the regularly scheduled Creative Movement class tomorrow and just work on their routine. 

Seeing how overwhelmed Charlotte got today, I have to say I'm really nervous for Saturday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment